|Brooklyn Signature||11 inches||$949||10 Years||120 Nights|
|Brooklyn Aurora||13.5 inches||$1,699||10 Years||120 Nights|
|Spartan||13.5 inches||$1,999||10 Years||120 Nights|
|Bloom Hybrid||12 inches||$1,799||10 Years||120 Nights|
|Brooklyn Bowery Hybrid||10 inches||$799||10 Years||120 Nights|
|Brooklyn Bowery||10 inches||$649||10 Years||120 Nights|
Brooklyn Bedding has been a major player in the mattress industry since they opened their doors in 1995. What started with two brothers selling “like-new” mattresses out of a Wonder Bread truck has evolved into a multimillion dollar company. In this article, we’ll be breaking down the Brooklyn Bedding company and discussing Brooklyn Bedding mattress reviews to help you decide if one of their beds should be your next buy.
When selling like-new mattresses, John and Rob Merwin took the time to deconstruct them and learn what goes into making a high-quality comfortable mattress. With their new knowledge, they decided to open their own brand.
At first, they sold their mattresses online on Amazon. After hearing mattresses could be compressed, rolled, and shipped in a box, John Merwin figured the technology was worth investing in. He then decided to take a trip to Italy and spend $135,000 on an Italian roll pack machine. At that time, it was the first roll pack machine in the US, giving him an upper hand in the bed-in-a-box industry. With his new machine, his bed-in-a-box business model took off. After great success on Amazon, they started selling their mattresses on their own BrooklynBedding.com website.
As years went by and business grew, the Merwin brothers opened a 145,000-square foot manufacturing facility in Arizona as well as storefronts in both Arizona and Utah. Because they have storefronts in only two states, they primarily sell their mattresses online— on their website and their Amazon storefront.
Now, Brooklyn Bedding sells a variety of beds and receives raving reviews from its customers. In the next section of this guide, we’ll be breaking down each of the mattresses and the materials they’re made from to help you choose the best mattress for your sleep needs.
Mattress Models & Materials
Brooklyn Bedding carries six different mattress models: Brooklyn Signature, Brooklyn Aurora, Spartan, Bloom Hybrid, Brooklyn Bowery Hybrid, and Brooklyn Bowery.
All of their mattresses, except for the two Brooklyn Bowery beds, are available in three firmness levels— soft, medium, and firm. The Brooklyn Bowery beds are advertised as offering universal, medium firmness. All in all, you have 14 different Brooklyn Bedding mattresses to choose from.
Let’s take a look at each mattress individually.
The Brooklyn Signature model is their best selling mattress, designed to offer an even balance of comfort and support while keeping you cool throughout the night. This hybrid model is built with a combination of foam and an innerspring coil system— because it contains an innerspring coil system, it should feel bouncy and responsive to the sleeper above.
Let’s break down the layers:
- The cover of this mattress is a premium quilted top designed to resist body indentations and offer a cool sleep surface.
- The first layer of this mattress is 2 inches of TitanFlex™ foam infused with TitanFlex™ gel. Brooklyn Bedding’s TitanFlex™ foam is made from poly-foam and is designed to offer a combination of the contouring properties of memory foam and the responsiveness of latex. The inclusion of TitanFlex™ gel promotes a cooler sleeping surface and reduces your chance of heating up while sleeping on this bed. These two proprietary technologies are also designed to be resistant to bacteria, reducing the chances of germs accumulating in your bed.
- Next, is a 2-inch layer of Energex™ support, a high-density poly-foam designed to promote compression into the mattress.
- The third layer of this mattress is the 6-inch Ascension™ coil system. 1,024 individually pocketed coils make up the foundation of this mattress and provide targeted support for the sleeper. Because these coils are pocketed, they isolate motion quite well.
- The last layer of this mattress is a 1-inch layer of high-density foam. The core of the mattress provides durable support for the bed and reinforces the coil system when it compresses down onto the layer below.
The Brooklyn Aurora is another one of their most popular mattress models. The design of this mattress focuses on heat reduction and is recommended for sleepers who commonly find themselves waking up hot in the middle of the night. At 13.5 inches, it’s a bit taller than the standard bed, which makes it a great choice for those who prefer a thicker mattress.
Let’s look at the layers:
- The cover of the Aurora mattress is made from a combination of polyester and rayon and is designed to feel smooth to the touch. The cover is also infused with proprietary TitanCool™ technology, a phase changing material that helps with temperature regulation. By including this technology, it makes their cover cool to the touch and reduces your chance of sleeping hot.
- The first layer of this bed is a 1.5-inch layer of Copper Gel Energex™ foam with TitanCool™. Copper is a conductive mineral, meaning it attracts heat. The copper infused into this top layer is meant to attract heat away from the sleeper, reinforcing these beds cooling abilities. On top of the copper gel, Brooklyn Bedding also infused their TitanCool™ temperature regulating technology into this top layer.
- Next, is the compression layer— 2 inches of medium firm TitanFlex™ foam. The compression layer is soft enough to allow the sleeper to sink in, relieving pressure points. Because this layer provides extra pressure relief, this makes this mattress a great choice for side sleepers.
RELATED: If you sleep on your side and are looking for a comfortable bed, read our guide to find the best mattress for side sleepers.
- Below the second layer is a 1-inch layer of gel-infused memory foam. Being the third layer into the mattress, this memory foam probably won’t contour to your body well, but it does offer one big perk— motion isolation. By including gel in the design of the foam, it adds to the bed’s ability to reduce heat.
- Next, is an 8-inch layer of Quantum Edge™ pocketed coils. In addition to offering targeted support, this coil layer adds bounce to the mattress. Though it adds bounce, the pocketed coils of this layer still isolate motion well.
- The core layer of this mattress is 1-inch of high-density poly-foam; this layer provides durable support for the entirety of the mattress above.
The Spartan mattress is marketed as providing, “extreme recovery for the extreme athlete in all of us” and is targeted towards —you guessed it— athletes. The design of this bed emphasizes rejuvenation and uses Far Infrared Rays (FIR) technology to recycle the body heat into energy—helping you recover faster.
Below, we’ll break down the layers:
- The cover of this mattress is performance fabric woven with Nanobionic technology; this technology is what claims to transform your body heat into energy to promote deeper sleep. By using this technology, this mattress should promote a more restful and deeper night’s sleep.
- The first layer of this mattress is 1.5 inches of Copper Gel Energex™ foam. As we mentioned above, this copper-infused foam should pull heat away from your body while you sleep while supporting your body from sinking too far into the mattress.
- The next layer is a 2-inch layer of TitanFlex™ foam— this layer is soft enough to sink in to provide pressure relief but responsive enough where you don’t feel stuck in the bed.
- Next, is a 1-inch layer of gel-swirled memory foam included to improve motion isolation and reduce heat.
- Below the layer of memory foam is an 8-inch layer of pocketed coils. Over 1,189 individually pocketed coils provide targeted support for the sleeper.
- Finally, the last layer of the Spartan mattress is a 1-inch layer of high-density poly-foam, included to provide support for the layers and coil system above.
The Bloom Hybrid was Brooklyn Bedding’s first eco-friendly mattress, capturing an audience of consumers searching for a “green” bed. The main materials in this bed are latex and an innerspring coil system. There are many health benefits that come with sleeping on a latex mattress— a few being they’re resistant to mold, mildew, and dust mites and are also hypoallergenic. Eco-friendly mattresses are healthier for both the sleeper and the environment.
Let’s look at the layers:
- The cover of this mattress is organic cotton quilted with 1.5 inches of Joma Wool™. These materials make the cover soft and plush to the touch.
- The first layer of this hybrid bed is 3 inches of all-natural Talalay latex. Latex is a more responsive material than memory or poly-foam, which means this bed will quickly respond to pressure and relieve tension. Instead of feeling cradled by your bed, latex creates a more “lifted” feel. Additionally, this latex is pin holed to allow for air to freely escape the material.
- Below the layer of latex is an 8-inch layer of Quantum Edge encased coils. The pocketed coil layer offers targeted pressure relief and support. Because the coils are pocketed, they should not transfer motion.
- The core of the bed is a 1-inch layer of high-density poly foam. The core supports the coil system and latex layer above while also offering improved edge support.
Brooklyn Bowery Hybrid
The Brooklyn Bowery Hybrid is designed to be a universal firmness and comfortable for the majority of sleepers. The two most significant materials in this mattress are gel memory foam and encased coils, and the design of the bed is meant to offer an even balance of comfort and support. In comparison to the other hybrid mattresses Brooklyn Bedding carries, this model is a more budget-friendly option.
Let’s break it down by layer:
- The cover of the mattress is quilted gel memory foam meant to resist body impressions and feel both soft and cooling to the touch.
- The first layer of this mattress is 2-inch of comfort poly-foam; this layer creates a soft surface for the sleeper and acts as a barrier between the sleeper and the coil layer directly below.
- Next, comes a 6-inch layer of pocketed coils. As we’ve mentioned, the function of pocketed coils is to provide pressure relief and targeted support, as well as reduce motion in the bed.
- The last layer, or the core layer, of this bed is a 1-inch layer of high-density memory foam.
The Brooklyn Bowery is Brooklyn Bedding’s only all-foam mattress. Just like it’s hybrid counterpart, this model is only offered in universal firmness and is rated as a 5-6 out of 10 on the firmness scale, making it a true medium mattress. It’s designed to offer comfort and support to most any type of sleeper.
Let’s look at the inside layers:
- The cover of this mattress is made from a stretchy cotton material meant to feel soft to the touch.
- The first layer of this mattress is 3 inches of Energex™ foam. We mentioned earlier this foam is meant to feel like a mix between memory foam and latex; so it’s meant to provide comfort but relieve tension by supporting your body.
- The next layer is 2 inches of transitional comfort foam; this layer provides a bit of comfort but mainly acts as a barrier between the soft foam layer above and the dense core below.
- The last layer of this mattress is 5 inches of high-density poly-foam to provide structural and edge support to the mattress.
For this article, we’ll be basing our prices off Queen sizes.
- The Brooklyn Signature bed costs $949.
- The Brooklyn Aurora costs $1,699.
- The Spartan costs $1,999.
- The Bloom Hybrid mattress costs $1,799.
- The Brooklyn Bowery Hybrid bed costs $799.
- The Brooklyn Bowery bed costs $649.
Brooklyn Bedding offers free shipping nationwide and frequently discounts their mattresses on their website. For the best price, watch for any mattress sales they may be running on their site.
Sleep Trial & Warranty Information
Every Brooklyn Bedding mattress comes with a risk-free 120-night sleep trial. During this time you’re able to test out your mattress and decide if it’s the best fit for you. If you decide to return the mattress, you have the option to return it for a full refund or exchange it for a different model. They do require you to keep the original model for a minimum of 30 days, or through the duration of the adjustment cycle, before deciding to return.
In addition to offering free shipping, Brooklyn Bedding also offers free returns.
After your sleep trial, your BB mattress is protected by a 10-year warranty. Your warranty protects you against deterioration in the cell structure of the materials, cracks or splits in the materials, body indentations larger than 1 inch, and sagging. Should your mattress be deemed defective, they will repair or replace it.
Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Reviews
The Brooklyn Bedding company core value is to “deliver a luxury sleep experience at an affordable price.” By owning and operating their own manufacturing facility, they have control over the materials used in the beds, the quality of the beds, and much more. With that, they’re able to sell their products at the lowest price possible.
Typically, these beds receive great customer reviews. Positive reviews mention their beds are durable, comfortable, and customers appreciate the variety of beds Brooklyn Bedding offers. Some negative reviews mention spotty customer service; however, we advise you to take those reviews with a grain of salt because overall, Brooklyn Bedding receives a 4.4 out of 5-star average review rating.